Tuesday, February 27, 2007

MONDO BLOG

Elements Part I – WATER:

PRODUCTION:
For the first part of the elements assignment, I did my water filmstrip in class. I chose the blue paint because, obviously, I was doing water and water looks blue. I also chose some oil to ’bubble up’ the paint and give it a more fluid and watery look. I decided to not only choose color to differentiate the elements, but also brush stroke which I assumed would be more noticeable once projected than you would think. I used smooth, fluid brush strokes to simulate the flow of water, using the oil now and then to hopefully create a cool watery image. I then went back and highlighted some of the sections with a sharpie, hopefully making the bubbles stand out a bit more.
EXHIBITION:
When projected on screen, the water element looked pretty much as I would have expected. I liked the section(s) with the oil application because it created the exact effect I was looking for. The only problem I had was that it went by quick and some the portions I was excited to see projected went by so quick that I did not even notice them. Overall, I was satisfied with the result and the overall look of the segment.


Elements Part II – EARTH:

PRE-PRODUCTION:
I went to A.C. Moore to get supplies for the Earth portion of the assignment. I did not know what kind of paint to get, so I searched the aisles up and down trying to remember the kind we used in class. I gave up and asked an employee what kind of paint would be best to paint on 16mm film. She did not know either, but recommended this brand of glass and wood paint:

Free Image Hosting at <a href=

Free Image Hosting at <a href=

I purchased the paint based off the employee’s recommendation, even though she did not know any better than I did the best paint to use on film.
PRODUCTION:
I prepared a spot in my kitchen to paint. I opened the mysterious paint, got out my film, spread napkins and paper towels all over the table, and I was ready to go. Immediately I realized that the paint was too transparent with one coat. I decided to use 2-3 coats; one on top of the other after the paint has dried. The next problem I encountered was that the paint took a long time to dry, probably and hour and a half. So the final product was only pretty much a coat and a half (one coat in some sections, two in the other). It dried with a glassy look, which made sense seeing as it was glass paint, which actually made me eager to view projected.
EXHIBITION:
I got to say, I was disappointed with the way this turned out. The colors were too dull in most spots and the paint was maybe a bit too glassy. The sections that had thick coats were the highlights and actually looked really cool, though a majority of the strip didn’t seem to have enough paint. Plus, the paint covered the perforations in some areas, making awful noises when running through the projector. All in all, a bit disappointed, even more so when viewing the sections that actually looked cool.


Elements Wrap-Up:

All in all, I was pleased with the overall result. After viewing each, I kind of wished that I had done the opposite: class paint for earth and glass paint for water, given their respective looks. Maybe I could have done a combo: class paint and glass paint for both. In regardless, I am done with the assignment and I will leave it at that.

No comments: